Ultrasound & Biopsy
The next step was the ultrasoud and biopsy. I had had an ultrasound when I was pregnant so I knew what to expect on this one. Of course, the joy of the pregnancy ultrasound was very different than the fear of this one.
To prepare for the biopsy, I again kept my pants on and wore a hospital gown on top with the straps to the front. The ultrasound technician pulled the gown to reveal my right breast and applied cold goop. I am sure that the goop has a special name, but I don't know it. She then passed a scanner over the breast while the radiologist watched the pictures on her monitor in another room. The ultrasound evidently sees density, and gave the radiologist another clue as to the content of the 'mass.' At this point, everyone was calling it a 'mass.'
Based on the ultrasound, it was determined that I didn't have an infection. We were going to have to do a biopsy.
For the biopsy there were three people in the room. I was asked if I wanted to watch the procedure on the monitor. NOPE! They then started to position me with various pillows and bolsters. It was explained that when the took the samples, I needed to be still so they wanted to give me enough support so that I wouldn't be holding any of my weight. This was a core biopsy so they were using a needle with a slicer to cut actual pieces of the tumor, not just take cells.
The needle makes a huge popping noise when it makes the cut, so they made the noise several times for me before the procedure began, to lessen my fear and reduce how much I would be startled during the actual procedure.
They began with lidocaine to deaden the incision area and the area of entry. Unfortunately, they could not use any drugs on the tumor since that might change the characteristics of the cells. The first cut I didn't feel. The second cut was a nightmare. The radiologist had me squeeze her hand for the third and fourth cut. She may have some broken bones in that hand. Both the doctors kept cooing, you are doing great two more... you are doing great just one more. But I didn't move when they made those cuts. Somehow I held still.
By the end of the procedure I was going into shock and needed some blankets which were quickly draped over me. Someone began to rub my back and I wept. I didn't cry, tears just seeped out as a reaction to both the pain and the realization that this was just the beginning.
It took me about 8 days to not have pain at the biopsy site. I swelled and bruised heavily. My breast has a distinctive indentation now. A battle scar, well earned.
I had to go and buy a supportive bra that I could clasp in front. I have owned about five bras ever! One 'training' bra when I was just a young girl, a few through high school, and then two while I was nursing my daughter. But I need the support while driving on Boston's patched and potholed roads.
To prepare for the biopsy, I again kept my pants on and wore a hospital gown on top with the straps to the front. The ultrasound technician pulled the gown to reveal my right breast and applied cold goop. I am sure that the goop has a special name, but I don't know it. She then passed a scanner over the breast while the radiologist watched the pictures on her monitor in another room. The ultrasound evidently sees density, and gave the radiologist another clue as to the content of the 'mass.' At this point, everyone was calling it a 'mass.'
Based on the ultrasound, it was determined that I didn't have an infection. We were going to have to do a biopsy.
For the biopsy there were three people in the room. I was asked if I wanted to watch the procedure on the monitor. NOPE! They then started to position me with various pillows and bolsters. It was explained that when the took the samples, I needed to be still so they wanted to give me enough support so that I wouldn't be holding any of my weight. This was a core biopsy so they were using a needle with a slicer to cut actual pieces of the tumor, not just take cells.
The needle makes a huge popping noise when it makes the cut, so they made the noise several times for me before the procedure began, to lessen my fear and reduce how much I would be startled during the actual procedure.
They began with lidocaine to deaden the incision area and the area of entry. Unfortunately, they could not use any drugs on the tumor since that might change the characteristics of the cells. The first cut I didn't feel. The second cut was a nightmare. The radiologist had me squeeze her hand for the third and fourth cut. She may have some broken bones in that hand. Both the doctors kept cooing, you are doing great two more... you are doing great just one more. But I didn't move when they made those cuts. Somehow I held still.
By the end of the procedure I was going into shock and needed some blankets which were quickly draped over me. Someone began to rub my back and I wept. I didn't cry, tears just seeped out as a reaction to both the pain and the realization that this was just the beginning.
It took me about 8 days to not have pain at the biopsy site. I swelled and bruised heavily. My breast has a distinctive indentation now. A battle scar, well earned.
I had to go and buy a supportive bra that I could clasp in front. I have owned about five bras ever! One 'training' bra when I was just a young girl, a few through high school, and then two while I was nursing my daughter. But I need the support while driving on Boston's patched and potholed roads.

1 Comments:
This post has brought sympathetic/empathetic tears to my eyes. I know all too well what type of crying you are referring to. The pain is as deep in the heart and mind as it is in the breast... sometimes, it's just too awful. I'm so sorry.
By
Kristina, at 5:44 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home