Day 3: Removing the Plastic
As directed by Dr. Maryjane, the plastic wrap which has been covering both incisions needed to come off. This wrap, which I believe is made by 3M, is very thin and very sticky.
The edges of the film were still firmly attached to my skin so I took another shower to moisten the material. I then lay prone on the bed so that Leslie could try to loosen the edges before removing the wrap. He found that by rolling his finger back and forth on an edge, he was able to get a little piece to hold onto. He then worked his way around the edge before pulling the film from the actual incision.
There have been ample times in my life that I have been thankful that I am not very hairy. I don't have to shave more than once or twice a year, for example. Today, I was thankful once again. The only discomfort during most of the wrap removal was when a small hair was caught in the glue. There was a moment of pain as the film came off the incision, but nothing that my Lamaze breathing exercises couldn't help me with.
The film on the lymph node incision was a little more uncomfortable to remove, but the amount of wrap was much less so the time it took to remove was proportionally less.
The overall sensation was very similar to having a bandaid removed, but we elected not to do the rip method of removal for what should be obvious reasons!
At this point, I have no additional instructions regarding incision care besides not using any lotions or care products.
The edges of the film were still firmly attached to my skin so I took another shower to moisten the material. I then lay prone on the bed so that Leslie could try to loosen the edges before removing the wrap. He found that by rolling his finger back and forth on an edge, he was able to get a little piece to hold onto. He then worked his way around the edge before pulling the film from the actual incision.
There have been ample times in my life that I have been thankful that I am not very hairy. I don't have to shave more than once or twice a year, for example. Today, I was thankful once again. The only discomfort during most of the wrap removal was when a small hair was caught in the glue. There was a moment of pain as the film came off the incision, but nothing that my Lamaze breathing exercises couldn't help me with.
The film on the lymph node incision was a little more uncomfortable to remove, but the amount of wrap was much less so the time it took to remove was proportionally less.
The overall sensation was very similar to having a bandaid removed, but we elected not to do the rip method of removal for what should be obvious reasons!
At this point, I have no additional instructions regarding incision care besides not using any lotions or care products.

3 Comments:
Removing the plastic was emotional for me. In my case, the plastic also had a strip of gauze that covered the actual incision, and when I removed the plastic I was able to see, for the first time, what my altered body looked like. I was scared that my own body would horrify me, or that Ryan would cringe at a Frankenstein-ish aspect to my body. Neither fear came true. I am still me, and Ryan still views me as me - he still sees me as his lover as well. I wonder if you had any of these thoughts as you removed the plastic. I am sure that even with your scars, you are beautiful, and that Leslie still sees you that way. You may not need my reassurances, but I offer them anyway. :-)
By
Kristina, at 6:15 PM
kristina, you are right there was gauze which had to be removed. you are more brave than I though. I still haven't looked at myself. In my house there is one mirror, and I would have to stand on a chair to see. I am not worried about how I look or how Leslie will look at me. I just want all mutant cells out of my body- end of story!
By
*susan*, at 5:55 PM
Okay, so I'm ready for more nasty medical stuff. Cough it up. ;-)
By
Kristina, at 11:28 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home